Pages

WISE IRISH BLOG

Stories of Friendship, Family, Fun and Food.
All the way from the Emerald Isle!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Drive with me


HINT - hit the play button then pause it immediatley for at least 2 minutes or more if you have time. That gives the music time to load and play along with the video as you read. Otherwise it will be kind of blotchy.

This is a effort to give you all a little taste of driving in our neighborhood. Notice Rory's school, some cool old houses and finally Home.



I have posted the lyrics to the song that is playing in the background. It is one of my favourite songs and although there are several versions out there, this is the one with the Chieftans and Joni Mitchell. For those of you unfamiliar with the story behind the song, you can check out the website and I am sure it will shed lights as to why it is one of my favourite tunes.

http://www.magdalenelaundries.com/



Enjoy,



The Magdalene Laundries

I was an unmarried girl, I'd just turned twenty-seven, When they sent me to the sisters For the way men looked at me



Branded as a Jezebel I knew I was not bound for Heaven I'd be cast in shame Into the Magdalene laundries



Most girls come here pregnant, Some by their own fathers Bridget got that belly, By her parish priest



We're trying to get things white as snow, All of us woe-begotten-daughters In the steaming stains, Of the Magdalene laundries



Prostitutes and destitutes, And temptresses like me-- Fallen women--Sentenced into dreamless drudgery ... Why do they call this heartless place, Our Lady of Charity? Oh charity!



These bloodless brides of Jesus, If they had just once glimpsed their groom Then they'd know, and they'd drop the stones



Concealed behind their rosaries They wilt the grass they walk upon, They leech the light out of a room They'd like to drive us down the drain At the Magdalene laundries



Peg O'Connell died today, She was a cheeky girl - A flirt



They just stuffed her in a hole! Surely to God you'd think at least some bells should ring! One day I'm going to die here too And they'll plant me in the dirt Like some lame bulb That never blooms come any spring Not any spring No, not any spring



Not any spring



That is all the WiseWords for today,



WiseMóna

0 Comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain