Pages

WISE IRISH BLOG

Stories of Friendship, Family, Fun and Food.
All the way from the Emerald Isle!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

So much to be thankful for!

My brother Kenneth stopped over on Friday afternoon to have a cup of tea and a spot of lunch with me and the children. When he entered the kitchen and saw the disastrous state of affairs her looked at me with a very concerned look and said " you do realise you are having a party here - TOMORROW - don't you??? ".

Well, DUH! Clearly the only way to get things done around our place is to have a party! And what a party it was. So first the before and after photos of my painting efforts in our bowling alley Kitchen/dining room. It was painted this insipid pasty peach colour, that I could not tolerate, so I painted the dining portion of the room a Hot Sienna Red colour. Next week, I am going to finish the kitchen end in a creamy white. Overall, the color looks 400% better, and warmed up the room immensely.
Now, here is where I blather on about how great the Chef really is. The menu was as follows:
Starters
Deviled Eggs, Cheese & Mustard Tart,
Tempura fried oysters, Shrimp cocktail.
Country coleslaw, along side a cider roasted ham,
and we had a spring salad slotted for this space
but he decided to quench that idea and threw in a
pot full of FRIED CHICKEN!
There were a few other dishes of lovely
crunchy green beans and sugar snap peas,
and of course some crusty breads!
All wrapped up with a scrumptious carrot cake!
We had invited 14 or so people and 6 kids (including our brats) so I did my usual dish bitch duties and kept the place as tidy as possible whilst the chef worked his magic in the kitchen. See photo below.
Yes, it is sickening - however, practise, practise, practise - and this is what you get. Throwing a party for 15 - 20pp is actually a bit if a snore for this guy. He slept the afternoon away (for real) and at the very last minute - literally just threw it all together. Granted, we have been doing this for the last 14 years, and have a good grasp on throwing a dinner party - but yesterday was lovely. No stress, the paint job looked fab. and in addition to it being my birthday - everyone showed up, ate, drank and was rather merry when they all headed home at 1:30am!

In the photo below Bernie Ffrench, My mum Catherine and Bernie's twin sister Jackie Ffrench, my high school friends.
I think that this house of ours is slowly starting to feel more and more like home. A welcome addition is always a smattering of friends, both new and old. I think I have always been lucky in who I have befriended over the years - due to something my Mother Catherine drilled into my head from a very young age.
" Show me your company, and I will tell you who you are ".
All I can tell you, is although I am thousands of miles away from some of our very dear friends I am a very lucky (and happy) girl! It appears my friend magnet is working again!


That is all the WiseWords I have for today!
WiseMóna

0 Comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain