Pages

WISE IRISH BLOG

Stories of Friendship, Family, Fun and Food.
All the way from the Emerald Isle!

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Wise Food Alert!

Blueberry Bliss!


Folks around here do not make Blueberry Pie like they do back in the good ole USA, and as it is one of my darlings very favourite desserts ever (besides Pecan Pie, Cherry Pie, Ice cream, Fudge, etc.) I decided that it was high time I made an effort to make this tasty treat!

Please keep in mind that whilst I really have developed a serious love for cooking, a baker I am not and have no love for baking either! However, knowing that my handsome hubby, a few of my siblings and my dearest darling Mum would be chomping at the bit for a nibble of whatever I threw at them, encouraged me to give it a whirl!





Ireland does not have great conditions (too much rain, lots of boggy marsh land, not enough sun) for blueberry growing so most of them come from Spain and Holland. However, we have a similar berry here called a Billberry, which is almost identical expect much much smaller and they grow wild on the heather bushes in some local bogs around here.

Armed with a recipe given to us by some very good American friends of ours I tried my hand at this task and got rave reviews from all, including a very happy Chef!


WiseBluePie


1 cup sugar (unrefined brown)
3 tablespoons of cornstarch/cornflour
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of water
5 or 6 cups of blueberries
1 sweet apple (peeled)
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 lemon (juiced)

1 nine (9) inch shortbread pie crust (blind baked)

Get a decent size pot and mix together the sugar, salt and cornflour. Add the water and 3 cups of blueberries. Chop the apple into small pieces and add to the mixture. Keep stirring all the time and make sure this does not burn. Once the mixture has come to a boil and is clear - not cloudy, then remove from the heat and stir in butter and lemon juice. Set aside to cool. Although tempting it is not advisable to taste the goopy mixture at this time as it is very very hot and you will most likely burn your mouth. Trust me, it tastes great!

Once cooled spread the pie mixture into the pre baked pie crust then add a layer of the remaining blueberries, finishing with a layer of the pie mixture.

Leave the pie in a cool place to set for a while (fridge is fine too) then enjoy with some whipped cream and a nice cup of tea!

Probably the nicest pie you will every have!


That is all the WiseWords I have for today!

WiseMóna

0 Comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain