Pages

WISE IRISH BLOG

Stories of Friendship, Family, Fun and Food.
All the way from the Emerald Isle!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Sestina

WHAT???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sestina


I am in the final week of a creative writing class I have taken at the local university. It has been a really great challenge and I have learned a lot!

Our final assignment is to write a Sestina. I had never heard of this style of poem (as I am not poetic at all) but gave it my best shot. I chose very easy words and cheated a little bit.

A sestina is a highly structured poem consisting of six six-line stanzas followed by a tercet (or envoy or tornada), for a total of thirty-nine lines.

The same set of six words ends the lines of each of the six-line stanzas, but in a different order each time; If you number the first stanza's lines 123456, then the words ending the second stanza's lines appear in the order 615243, then 364125, then 532614, then 451362, and finally 246531.

These six words then appear in the tercet as well, with the tercet's first line usually containing 1 and 2, its second 3 and 4, and its third 5 and 6.

Anyone up to the challenge??
It is very much suited to those of you that love to do a daily crossword puzzle, or Sudoku. It does mess with your head a little but is a lot of fun!

The Chef is working on one called 'Sestina D'Obama'
depicting what Obamas life would have been like had he been born and raised in Alabama!

My Sestina, titled 'Sestina D'Wise' is a little more controversial and provoking (I know that surprises you!) but like I said I took the easy route, choosing easy words. I will publish my Sestina D'Wise shortly!


That is all the WiseWords I have for today,
WiseMóna

0 Comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain