Pages

WISE IRISH BLOG

Stories of Friendship, Family, Fun and Food.
All the way from the Emerald Isle!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wise Movie Review

The Reader (2008)

Kate Winslet
Ralph Fiennes
David Kross

We watched this movie a few days ago and normally I feel compelled to blog about movies that I like - right after I watch them. This was one of those movies that has just lingered with me for almost a week now. I cannot believe the story that unfolded on the screen before us (as I had not read the book) and even though it is a common story told of holocaust days, it was exceptionally done. I do like Kate Winslet (Sense and Sensibility, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Holiday and voice work in Christmas Carol: The movie, and Flushed Away). In this movie she takes what was a very ordinary job to her and tries to convince a jury that she was just doing her job.................the fact that it was killing people never factored into the equation as a problem for her - because she was just doing the job she was hired to do.
Her romance with David Kross was beautifully done. He is a very talented young man (and is easy on the eyes too) and I will be looking forward to seeing lots more of his work. From what I can gather he is new and hot on the scene!

Ralph Fiennes, one of my old time crushes, did a good job. I think he was better and way more convincing in The English Patient, The End of the Affair, In Bruges and even a few great appearances in Harry Potter. If they had written in a part where Ralph stormed the courtroom and grabbed his former lover in a desperate plea trying to convince her to tell everyone she was illiterate - then it would have been brilliant.................because we never got to see Fiennes and Winslet together in passion even though here was love in their scenes.
All in all, we enjoyed the movie very much. I think Kate Winslet deserved the award - but wonder if it was because she spent the first half of the movie naked. (good for her either way!)
That is all the WiseWords I have for today,
WiseMóna

0 Comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain