Pages

WISE IRISH BLOG

Stories of Friendship, Family, Fun and Food.
All the way from the Emerald Isle!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Irish Aioli!

The smells of all things lovely growing in our garden is getting out of hand! Due to all this lovely rain we have been getting everything is just flourishing! The garlic that none of us remember planting before Christmas when preparing the vegetable beds has come through in bunches and is oh, so divine!
When I was at the market on Saturday, I could not resist the temptation of buying an enormous bunch of this tasty treat as it is one of our favourite spring snacks! This afternoon, myself and the children roasted (slightly) several of the entire bulbs with a drizzle of olive oil, some black pepper and salt sprinkled on top.
Normally, I would allow the garlic to roast and get really soft and spreadable, but with fresh spring garlic, I usually only allow it to cook in a fairly hot oven for just 15 mins. or less. The garlic cloves remain a little firm, and seriously explode with flavour when you pop them in your mouth!
When my handsome Chef kissed me goodbye this morning on his way to work he requested that I make an Aioli sauce with some of this lovely garlic. 'Sure thang honey and have a nice day!' In the words that only both my sisters will understand and appreciate - WTF???
I have made aioli before. I get a jar of Hellman's, I add raw garlic.
Viola - Aioli!

However, this time around, the Chef had a better idea and mentioned this as he handed me his current food bible Honey from a Weed by Patience Gray. OK, I will say this is also one of my favourite books too so I humoured him!
With lovely fresh eggs still warm from the nest this morning on standby, I began the arduous task of 'mayo making' only to find out it was rather easy and tasty to boot!
So, be brave, try it!
All you need is:
2 lovely egg yolks
Sea salt to taste
2 entire bulbs of roasted (spring) garlic
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Lemon juice (or red wine vinegar - your choice)
Put garlic and salt into mortar and pestle bowl and muddle into paste. Add a drop or 2 of water if you feel the need. Add in the egg yolks and keep muddling. Slowly and carefully drip by drip add in the olive oil. This takes time, and patience (esp. if your olive oil pourer is aged 5 going on 17 and more interested in the portabello mushroom fries that will be accompanying said sauce). As you can see from the color below - it was almost orange in color.
Really rich and lovely and surprise surprise, I added a drop of Franks Red Hot Sauce.
Oh, Yes - it was finger licking good.

There you have it! Make your own Aioli. It is so inexpensive and really so much tastier than Hellman's mayo!
That is all the WiseWords I have for today!
WiseMóna

1 Comments:

eric said...

That looks really good Mona!! I am going to the market this weekend and will be picking up some tasty treats and I think aioli is a great idea!!

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain