Pages

WISE IRISH BLOG

Stories of Friendship, Family, Fun and Food.
All the way from the Emerald Isle!

Sunday, October 04, 2009

First and Foremost!

It has been one very long and extremely interesting month here at the Wise Family household! I have survived my first month back in University and the family is still somewhat intact. Of course this is largely due to the fact that Mummy Dearest has taken over the care and feeding of our children and so far - she seems to be happy doing so!

I finally picked my subjects and have a whopper of a schedule for my first year. (28 hours of class). Languages are heavy in hours and very intense, followed by Creative Writing and lastly just 4 hours of English Drama/Poetry per week.

Creative Writing is my core subject, followed fastly by English, Spanish and German. I study all four subjects for the first year, then drop one and carry three subjects for the remaining three years.

With subject choice decisions to be made no later than September 30th, 2009 - I found myself in quite a quandry. Needless to say creative writing was a no brainer as it was what I applied for - so even if I wanted to change this one - I can't!
I have always had an interest in Spanish esp. after living and working in the US and have to say - after only a month, I am so happy that I am learning it from scratch. It is an easier language and I cannot wait to start 'speaking' with my classmates.
German is my fourth filler subject. I am taking it for a year just to have for when we go back and forth to Switzerland.
So that left me really struggling with English. I had it in my head that I wanted to do English. I think it is a natural choice - and will be very beneficial to me in the long run. I started to worry a little about this choice early last week wondering if I would be able to write well enough - up to the academic level required to pass each year.

After talking to everyone including the girl at the parking desk at school - and after sitting into my first extra English tutorial I realised that no matter how hard it is (and it is quite difficult) I can handle it - because I love ENGLISH!


The last week has been spent nose deep in plays like Blasted, Sarah Kane; The Weir, Connor McPherson; By the Bog of Cats, Marina Carr; Angels in America, Tony Kushner; and we are rolling into some heavy ancient greek tragedy this week like Oedipus the King, Sophocles not to mention Jacobean tradgedy - The Duchess of Malfi, John Webster.


After halloween break (and my first graded essay of 1,500 words has been handed in) we move into poetry for the remaining 6 weeks of the semester before some winter exams then breaking for three long lovely weeks at Christmas.

I am worried about the exams - but will be keeping my nose in the books, taking good notes in class and studying whenever I get the chance around here!


All in all, I think that I have gotten off to a great start. I have not even touched on the creative writing part of school (which is the best part) I guess I will just have to save that for later.


I am making lots of friend (no, really I am!) and I am going to start a little campaign to get myself a little office in one of the older buildings. I need a quiet space to write and there are just way too many 17 year olds gabbing and chatting in the library.....................Oh to be young, painted top to toe in fake tan, with Ugg boots and Gucci schoolbag..........................

Nah - quite happy to be the older kid at school!

That is all the WiseWords I have for today.

WiseMóna

0 Comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain